The Chat tool is a real-time, text-based collaboration tool. You can use the Chat tool to brainstorm ideas, hold a question and answer period, have a debate or discussion, or organize a remote study group. As opposed to other collaboration tools, such as Discussions, Chat conversations occur in real-time. There are two types of chat:
- General (or Course) chats General chats are public chats visible to everyone enrolled in the org unit where they are created.
- Personal chats Personal chats are private and visible only to users who have been added to the chat’s participants list.
Access the Chat tool
Chat rooms are grouped as General (course) chats or Personal chats. You can only access General chats from the appropriate course. You can access Personal chats from anywhere in Learning Environment.
Do the following:
- Click Chat on the navbar.
Add a chat message
Type a message in the text box at the bottom of the chat room, and press Enter on your keyboard or click Send.
Refresh your chat window
If you think new messages are not appearing on your screen fast enough, click Refresh at the top of the chat. This option appears when you select New Messages in Settings.
See who else is chatting
The Participants pane displays a list of users currently signed in to a chat room.
Manage your chat settings
- Do one of the following:
- On the Chat List page, click Settings.
- Inside a chat, click Settings.
- Enter a new alias in the Alias field. Depending on your permissions, you can change your alias, or chat name, if you want to appear as a different name, such as a nickname, to other chat participants.
- Select the check boxes for Bold or Italics.
- Set an Alias Color.
- If you want to change the message order, select New to Old or Old to New. If you want to see new messages only, select New Messages. This requires you to manually refresh the screen, to see new messages and remove all old ones.
Note You can change back to see all messages, which restores all messages for that session, even if they were not visible while New Messages was selected.
- You can change your sound settings so you can hear a sound when someone enters the chat, leaves the chat, or when there is an incoming message. Select a sound from the following drop-down lists:
- Incoming Message Sound
- Person Enters Chat Sound
- Person Leaves Chat Sound
- Click Save.
Managing chat session archives
The chat’s archives stores each chat session, where you can view it at a later time.
The system archives a chat session once all chat members leave the room or after more than 20 minutes of inactivity. Chats appear in the Chat Sessions list.
Access an archived chat session
- On the Chat List page, click View Sessions from the context menu beside the chat you want to view.
Note For a general chat, you must be in the org unit where you created the general chat to see its session archives.
- Click the link in the Start Date column.
- When you are done reviewing the session, click Done.
Delete a chat session
Note For personal chats, only the chat’s creator can delete sessions from the archives.
Print an active chat session
- Inside the active chat, click Print.
- Click Print, then click Close.
Print an archived chat session
- Access an archived chat session.
- Click Print.
- Click Print, then click Close.